0
shares
Share via FacebookShare via TwitterShare via LinkedInShare via Pinterest
introduction Edit

San Isidro Chapel was built together by the local agricultural workers and the architects. It's the place for local farmers to perform their prayer for rain and abundant harvest. During the meetings between the different parties involved, the idea was raised to incorporate the chapel in a paved plaza, so that the whole complex could work as a place of contemplation, reflection, gathering and celebration on the day of Saint Isidro on May 15th.

Show more
Show less


image gallery Edit
prev
next


technical drawings Add


cultural and social context Edit

The project area is located in the municipality of San Bartolo Coyotepec along the road to Zaachila, a few hundred meters from the town center. The building lot is Bordostrada and is surrounded by harvest fields, mostly corn. The town of San Bartolo Coyotepec is located in the central part of the State of Oaxaca, in the region of the central valley belonging to the district center, and at an altitude of 1520 m.

It can be deduced from archaeological findings that this area was a Zapotec settlement (pre-hispanic period) since ancient times. Before Zapotec it was called Zaapeche, which means “place of many jaguars”, and after the first Spanish expedition to Oaxaca in 1521, it was named San Jacinto Leontepec. Later it was changed to its present name, San Bartolomé Coyotepec.

Show more
Show less


materials and building techniques Edit

The chapel and the north wall (which bounds the square) are built with Taipa brick (gravel) of 40 cm thick, absent on a concrete base and river stone, which does not use armor iron. The north wall is framed by a lime plaster and cement, which protects the upper clay from the weather. This vertical element of protection from the road performs the function of a support element to a mural composed of seven reliefs in black clay, made by master craftsman family of San Bartolo glyphs depicting the Zapotec communities that once occupied this territory.

The south wall is constituted by a series of wooden planks nailed together and fixed at the ends to the concrete base ribbed with iron bars ¼" protruding vertically falling 2m. The length of the elements was calculated to optimize the use of the material in its standard sizes that are available on the market (2.5 m long). Used motor oil was used to protect the wood from environmental degradation (fungi, insects xylophages, precipitation) and increase durability.

Show more
Show less


earth and climate Edit

The project site is located in an area with dry climate for most of the year, except for one rainy season lasting about four months (June to September), when rainfall reaches 170 mm in the wettest month and 760 mm 's year. Temperatures throughout the year vary between 34 º and 11 º C, with prevailing wind coming from the north - east.

Show more
Show less


external links Edit


comments
Attachment:
linkimagemovie

.
Project details
Project name: San Isidro Chapel
Description: Built cooperatively by the architects and the local commuity
Category: religion & memorial
Design: b_rootStudio
Building status: in use
Location: Oaxaca, Mexico
Coordinates: 16°57'27.8'' N, 96°42'22'' W
Tags: hands-on, earth, participation, student participation
Project ID: 22
Published: 22 May 2011
Last updated: 15 November 2011
PROJECT TEXT LICENSE
(images have individual licenses)
CC Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
CC Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
RELATED PROJECTS (162):
prev
next
  • homeproject1
    laTren - elNodo Participatory Cultural Center
    Re-connecting the neighborhoods by learning tog…
    Design: A.C.elNodo, Ctrl+Z, Straddle3, lamatraKa
    Location: Saltillo, Mexico
  • homeproject2
    Place au Changement
    A public square built collaboratively by the in…
    Design: CollectifETC
    Location: Saint-Étienne, France
  • homeproject3
    Canopy Installation
    Shade canopy made of recycled oil cans covered …
    Design: Sanjeev Shankar
    Location: New Delhi, India
We like this project